Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Polynesia Travels...and How My Mind Works



Dalmatian Jasper Pendant
 
I find great joy in creating one-of-a-kind jewelry. Different things inspire me, and I really don't control the muse, I just try to channel it.  Sometimes it's something as simple as a focal point.











I saw this wonderful pendant in my favorite bead store and wondered (obsessively!) what I could do with it. 
When it went on sale, I bought it.  Then I pondered it for weeks.




****************************************************************



Don't you hate it when you lose an earring?  I always save my orphans, hoping against hope that I will find the other one and I will again have a set.  I saved this orphan because my best friend bought these earrings from a street vendor in San Francisco in the mid '70's and gifted me with them.  They were simple, but super-cool.   Somehow I started viewing the orphan up against the pendant, and an idea began to form in my mind....

On the left is the original inspiration for this group...thanks Reg!

Making some updated earrings did not solve my necklace issue, but it did get me started.



Polished heishi beads were a perfect match.  And everything looks good with Swarovki crystals.  I fell in love with the creamy tiger-eye mother-of-pearl and the shiny, cubed obsidian, especially when I put it all together.


Neutral can be YUMMY!


I liked the obsidian enough to make it a focal point for the bracelet



So now I had a group that took weeks to put together, with natural elements from all over the globe.  How to give it a decent name?


Dalmatian Jasper:  Mexico
Obsidian: Western United States
Shell Beads:  South Pacific
Crystal:  Austria 



The word 'Polynesia' kept running thru my brain.  The shell beads were definitely that.  But how do you tie it together with North America and Europe?  Unless you travel.... 



And that is how the concept 'Polynesia Travels' came to existence.


Thank you for stopping by!

These items are available for purchase at my Artfire Studio

ArtFire - Buy Handmade - Sell Handmade





No comments:

Post a Comment